Wednesday, March 4, 2015

ANYONE CAN COOK !

When God gave his gift for cooking, I guess my brother was one lucky recipient. He can just cook anything as in anything. He is a natural in the kitchen and the dining area; as if he was born there. He is just an expert on difficult and easy dishes, the right way of using the appropriate utensils, plates, goblets for fine dining, proper way of dissecting the food and chewing it, and laughing with elan even when his mouth is full.

Whenever my brother cooks, it is always a glorious occasion with us expecting to be served food for the gods. Whenever it is my turn to cook, there will always be a question of , "Is it for the gods or the dogs?" You see, if Dennis is Ratatouile, I have to be a magician in the kitchen and come up with something up my sleeve.

So what are my brother's words of wisdom on cooking? Cooking is like traveling on a train. As one journeys, he slowly imbibes everything that he sees. Similarly, in cooking, one must go slow and not overwhelm or choke his dish with so many ingredients; everything has to be in moderation. Meat and fish must be cooked gradually and in low fire to cook them evenly; veggies with bigger fire and shorter period of time to retain their crispness and freshness. Cooking is an art and a process that has to be enjoyed like a journey.

For me, cooking is tango, rumba, chacha or a fast beat depending on what I'm cooking. For instance, if it is pinakbet that I am cooking, then it is chacha with me playfully tossing the veggies in the pot. If it is spaghetti, then it is rumba with my hips gyrating as I grate the cheese. Cooking is happiness. Cooking is being in love. It is absolutely romancing my ingredients and being surprised at the end. I never follow any recipe, always put a twist like adding something unusual in my dish and most often do not have any idea of how my dish would eventually turn out. I am just surprised when the people around me nod with approval, say bravissima and ask for more after tasting my dish. Indeed, anyone can cook! ^_^




Ratatouile


Cooking is tango, rumba, chacha or a fast beat depending on what I am cooking.


"Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with complete abandon or not at all."
-Harriet Van Home

"A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe."
-Thomas Keller





No comments:

Post a Comment